Summer Office Hours
The Jackson and Sullivan campuses at Salmon arm Secondary will be open for the remainder of the summer (Monday thru Friday), from 9am until 2:30pm. Please note - picket lines are expected to be present for the duration of this week.
New Student Registration
Given that the BCTF has resumed picketing this week, our clerical staff are not able to process new registrations and our counsellors are unavailable to assist students with course selection. If you are new to the Salmon Arm Secondary catchment area and are uncomfortable crossing the picket line, we want to provide you with another option. Feel free to contact Mr. Findlay (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Jackson campus office (for grades 9 & 10) and/or Mr. MacAulay (email@example.com) at the Sullivan campus office (for grades 11 & 12) and provide us with the following information:
1) Legal family name & birthdate
2) The name of the last school attended
3) The name of the parent(s) / Guardian(s) with whom the child resides
4) Your contact information (including whether you would like us to call you to discuss specific learning needs and/or considerations)
Course registration and timetabling will take place with our clerical and counselling staff once the teacher strike is over. We will require at that time for you to bring in birth certificates, proof of residence, and care cards
If only we had a crystal ball . . .
It would be really nice to have a crystal ball so that we could let parents know what is going to happen with the teacher strike and school start up (set for September 2).
Unfortunately, we don't. If anything changes we will do our utmost to keep you informed of any developments through our the school district's facebook page and the school district website. We regret the issues this ongoing provincial dispute may be causing your family and it is the sincere hope of the Board of
Education that this dispute will soon be concluded and that normal school operations will resume as quickly as possible.
* PLEASE NOTE * All timetable changes are faciliated by counsellors through the counselling department at either the Jackson or Sullivan Campus. Due to the labour dispute between the government and the BCTF, appointments are NOT being scheduled at this time. Once a resolution is reached, we will immediately begin the process of scheduling appointments and adjusting timetables. We thank you for your patience.
BC School Trustees urge sides to settle . . .
B.C. School Trustees' Association have set out an immediate action plan urging the governement and teachers to come to an agreement so students can be back in school on September 2. The plan provides recommendations to the BCTF and provincial government that trustees believe will resolve the bargaining impasse. It also contains several actions that will be taken by the BCSTA. Read all about it here.
Letter to the Ministry of Education and BCTF . . .
The North Okanagan-Shuswap Board of Education has written a letter to the Ministry of Education and the BCTF expressing its concern about the lack of resolution to the labour dispute and the affect it is having on students. The entire letter can be read here.